Skip to content

Be True

01/06/2014

It is very easy to lie to yourself. It’s easier to lie to yourself than it is to others. Being true to yourself is a necessary character quality in order to live a successful and happy life. One of the biggest ways we lie to ourselves, is by following the crowd.

I get it. You see someone thrive on their success of doing something, creating something or starting a trend and the first thing you want to do is jump on that train and try it too, thinking it will bring you the same success and happiness. Don’t do it. Then ask yourself, why do you want to ride on the shirttails or someone else idea? Why do you want to me a rendition of someone or something else?

Many of us live in fear of lack. We fear that there is only so much success, only so much love, only so much happiness, only so many great and creative ideas available, we have to settle for less and ride off of someone else’s. You settle for conformity when you do this. We settle for the idea that there is a shortage of love, beauty or success in the world. Not so, and this idea could not be farther from the truth. There is an abundance of ideas, knowledge and beauty that has not even been tapped into that is available for the world.

Look at people. Does God create one person a complete replica as another? Perhaps you could argue twins, but even then, there is always something distinct that differentiates one from the other. God does not suddenly start making babies look alike because He has come to a sort of creative shortage and has to start replicated people’s image. No, there is not shortage of creativity and uniqueness in people – everyone is created differently and looks differently.

We were created in the image of God. He created us with creative minds, to create and to work with inspiration. Therefore, we have a unique opinion of this life. Each of us has different thoughts and views of the world. Some of us may agree with others on many things, but non of us see things exactly alike.

Let’s go back to my first point. Why do you think you have to follow someone else’s good idea or follow a trend to be happy and successful? Why do you think you need to do that when we just acknowledged that each of us has a unique opinion and view? Therefore we have unique ways of creating, so again, we do we follow the crowd? Why are we allowing ourselves to replicas of other people, businesses or artists? Why are you being lazy and following others when you have a perfectly good and creative brain to use and communicate your own thoughts and ideas to the world?

Stop it.

Can you tell I’m passionate about this? But I am serious, the easiest way to be true to yourself is to listen to your own opinions look at the world from your own perspective. Appreciate and embrace the ideas of others, but note your own. Follow your own. That is the beginning of honesty. And the beginning of creativity. This is when you start making magic.

Happy Monday!

signature2_cropped9

About these ads
15 Comments leave one →
  1. Michelle permalink
    02/25/2014 2:44 pm

I strive to be like you! I was asking God for people to look up to the other day, and there is no doubt that He brought you to me!

2. 01/14/2014 11:21 am

Question! Did you take this picture!? My friend looks like her! I think I found her twin!

3. Sheila permalink
    01/08/2014 10:16 pm

Beautifully written Katie and what pep talk! We were created in the image of God. Amen :)

4. 01/07/2014 2:01 pm

Wow! This knocked the wind out of me. I needed to hear this. Comparison is the thief of joy and a quick downhill spiral away from the mountain top the Lord is leading us to. Thanks for sharing so openly! A well timed read I know crossed my path with the Lord’s prompting.

5. Nicki permalink
    01/06/2014 8:43 pm

Katie, you are truly inspirational. This was a beautiful post and so so true! While we can certainly look up to people for certain traits they have, God made each of us with unique talents and abilities. There is so much fear in this world because of the thinking of lack. That every idea, every thought we have has already been taken care of or done…but there is so much that each individual can bring to the table and contribute. Have an amazing week! Thank you for brightening up a piece of mine. :)

6. 01/06/2014 8:37 pm

Love, love, love the Eudora Welty quote. Beautiful words! So much to think about. Yes, many can have similar interests and passions, but I’m so thankful we are each fearfully and wonderfully made with unique qualities!

7. 01/06/2014 8:34 pm

AWESOME!!!!!!

8. 01/06/2014 5:29 pm

What a wonderful post! I have an ex boyfriend who struggled with this exact concept…and ironically, I am now finding it more difficult than before to just appreciate others’ comments instead of letting them have a great influence on my own decisions. It is ALWAYS a great reminder to simply be true to yourself and realize God created everyone to be individuals. :) Thanks for sharing!

A Penny for your Thoughts!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 1,089 other followers