Make 2013 Happen – My Goals
Step Nine in Lara Casey’s goal-setting series is to review all of your steps, add to your yes/no lists, think of more things that worked and didn’t work and just reflect. Work on your vision board. Mine is here. Get clear. Prioritize.
Step Ten is to set your goals…woohoo! Following Lara’s instruction, it’s important to ask yourself the “why” behind each goal. How is this goal in my 2013 vision? Does it help others? Does it glorify God? While compiling my goals, I realized I had a lot of them.
So, to keep things clear, I have 10 goals for 2013. Then, each 1st of the month I will also set monthly goals. Who knows what I will need to prioritize when November rolls around, so I’m going to plan as I go and as needs arise. I am also going to try the 101 in 1001 plan. But more on all that later. Today, I’m looking at 2013 with clear, focused eyes. Here we go, my 2013 goals.
- Act on my Life’s Purpose. Last year, I recognized my life’s purpose was to love others and glorify God. I want to make the love an action and the glorification visible. My goal is to make my life’s purpose evident through spending time daily in the Word and conversation with God, finding ways to love others without fear and give God all of my glory with every opportunity. He has saved me from so much, blessed me with so much and I want to share that.
- Focus on my 2013 Mantra. Last week I established my 2013 mantra as do love, do bigger, do grace. As I mentioned above, I want to do more love. I want to do everything bigger and not play small. And I want to hold myself to a standard of grace. While setting goals, it’s easy to focus on the accomplishment and not the lessons along the way. Grace gives you more than perfection or a checked-off list.
- Put my Marriage First. Marriage is a perfect picture of love. It is also under the most attack. I treasure Nate and our relationship. After my relationship with Jesus, it is the most important. My goal is to put Nate above myself more. We are closer than we have ever been, and I want to be very conscious to keep growing deeper and deeper in our love and respect for each other.
- Take Care of Myself. In order to do big, great things I have got to take care of myself. I am actually sick in bed as I am typing this not doing great things at work or for others. I need to find a good balance between exercise and rest. I love organic foods and obscure supplements – Nate calls this “hippie talk” – but they really work. I need to use my knowledge of health to my benefit. I also need to take care of my spiritually, making sure I’m talking with God each day, following His perfect plan.
- Treasure Those I Love. This year I forgot a few birthdays and that is not OK. I’ve postponed lunches with good friends because I didn’t plan ahead. I need to plan ahead and make people I love a priority. I need to call family more. Chime in on the family e-mails. Family is important to me, and I want them to know that.
- Simplify. Simplify. Simplify. I enjoy details. I enjoy lists. While it’s good to be thorough, I don’t always do things efficiently in an effort to be thorough. I want to clear the clutter out of my time, home, mind, spirit – everywhere. I want to get rid of the junk and fill my life with the good stuff. I want the last hour of my day to be reading a good book, with all electronics off. And speaking of books…
- Keep Reading and Learning. I rediscovered my love for reading in 2012, which helped me learn a lot about myself and others. I want to keep going. I’ve joined two book clubs and have a slew of books I want to read myself.
- Live Adventurously. This is the year to stop hiding from behind the computer. I want to do what I’ve never done before and work what I’m not so good at. I’ve enjoyed reading others’ adventures last year, and now it’s my turn to make some memories.
- Have More Fun. I want to find more whimsy in my life, more spontaneity, kind of like the goal before. I want to look at life more lightly. I want to chose laughter more. God has blessed us with a lot and I want to be joyful in those blessings.
- Smile More.